top of page
  • Writer's pictureArtemisWrites

Corfu in Winter? The answer is absolutely yes!


The church of Saint George in old town in corfu
The church of Saint George in old town

Corfu is an island nestled in the Ionian Sea, renowned for its rich history, architecture, beautiful natural landscapes and clear-blue waters. While the majority of the people visiting Corfu prefer to do so during the summer months, you’re in for a surprise. Corfu is absolutely wonderful during the winter as well!


The temperatures are mild, and the island is a lot warmer than other European Destinations. Winter in Corfu, also means that you will not be exposed to the scorching summer heat and it will be much more pleasurable and comfortable for you to walk around.


Not only this, but the island is much quieter during the winter-time, making it a relaxing and romantic destination, without mass crowds.


Firstly, let us explore the temperatures during winter and autumn in Corfu:


Corfu winter temperatures


Corfu in October

The average daily maximum is 24 C and the average daily minimum is 15 C. There is a 57% chance of a perfect sunny day and a 43% chance of seeing some clouds.


Corfu in November

The average daily maximum is 19 C and the average daily minimum is 10 C. There is a 57% chance of a perfect sunny day and a 43% chance of seeing some clouds.


Corfu in December

The average daily maximum is 16 C and the average daily minimum is 6 C. There is a 66% chance of a perfect sunny day and a 34% chance of seeing some clouds.


Corfu in January

The average daily maximum is 14 C and the average daily minimum is 5 C. There is a 51% chance of a perfect sunny day and a 49% chance of seeing some clouds.



What to do in Corfu - Greece during Winter

There are just so many things that one can do in this beautiful island, especially during the winter. That is because it’s so much more comfortable to wander around and explore its secrets.


After spending 20 days in Corfu, here’s what I suggest:


Explore Corfu Town (Kerkyra)


The Corfu town is a beautiful combination of different cultures and times, a historical puzzle that survives to this day! With charming cobbled alleys, neoclassical buildings and monuments, Corfu’s old town is a beautiful place to explore, especially in winter.


The old town in Corfu
The old town in Corfu, featuring the old fortress in the back

In Corfu’s town there exist the old and the new venetian Fortresses, that offer panoramic views of the town and the sea. While exploring the fortresses you will feel like being transported to by-gone eras-vocalized by the extant fortresses.


Another wonderful place to explore, is the Spaniada square-the biggest square in Greece! This beautiful place is filled with trees and flowers, water-fountains, a kiosk that hosts concerts all-year-round and a cyclical neoclassical monument.


Liston promenade is a must-visit in Corfu Town too. Situated on the western side of Spianada Square, it's a great idea to explore both places while taking a leisurely walk. Moreover, Liston promenade is not only a gathering spot for locals but also a favorite destination for tourists. Indulging in a cup of coffee or a hot chocolate during colder days is an essential experience!


Another must-visit place to explore in Corfu during the winter is the “Mon repos” palace and the huge garden that surrounds it. The garden is forest-like, filled with pine trees, alleys and different smaller buildings apart from the palace. There is also a beautiful beach that the garden leads to.


The Achilleion Palace


The Achilleion Palace in Corfu, a former royal residence, is a captivating destination to explore during the winter months. This neoclassical palace, surrounded by lush gardens and adorned with intricate statues, offers a unique experience without the bustling summer crowds.


The exterior of the Achilleion Palace, corfu
The exterior of the Achilleion Palace

The palace's ornate interiors, featuring elegant furnishings and historical exhibits, provide a warm and inviting atmosphere on cooler days. Moreover, the palace's hilltop location offers breathtaking panoramic views of Corfu, making it an excellent spot for a peaceful retreat.


The rooftop of the palace featuring a multitude of statues, including the nine muses in corfu, Achilleon
The rooftop of the palace featuring a multitude of statues, including the nine muses

Whether you're interested in history, architecture, or simply seeking a serene escape, Achilleion Palace is a delightful winter destination that combines cultural enrichment with tranquility.


Culture in Corfu


While exploring Corfu's cultural treasures, be sure to visit the Archaeological Museum to immerse yourself in the island's rich history through ancient artifacts and exhibits. For an intriguing departure from the Mediterranean, the Museum of Asian Art captivates visitors with its remarkable collection of Asian art and antiquities.



The museum of Asian Art, corfu
The magnificent museum of Asian Art

Additionally, don't miss the unique experience of Casa Parlante, where you can step back in time and explore a meticulously restored 19th-century mansion, complete with animated wax figures, offering a vivid glimpse into the island's aristocratic past.


Apart from this, make sure to visit the stunning Paleokastritsa Monastery and the Monastery of Vlacherna, both nestled in picturesque settings that offer tranquility and breathtaking views.


For a spiritual and historical experience, explore the Church of Saint Spyridon in Corfu Town, where the relics of the island's patron saint are preserved. These religious sites not only showcase the island's deep cultural heritage but also provide moments of serenity and reflection amidst their splendid surroundings.


Hiking and Nature in Corfu


Corfu's natural beauty and hiking opportunities are a hidden gem for nature enthusiasts. The island offers a diverse range of trails and outdoor experiences that allow you to connect with its lush landscapes.


The garden of the people in Corfu
The Garden of the People

You can explore the following aspects of hiking and nature in Corfu:


· Hiking Trails: Corfu has numerous hiking trails that wind through olive groves, pine forests, and scenic hillsides. Some popular trails include the Corfu Trail, which spans the length of the island, and routes leading to the summit of Mount Pantokrator. Mount Pantokrator is Corfu's highest mountain, and hiking to its summit rewards you with panoramic views of the island and the Ionian Sea.

· Nature Reserves: Corfu has several nature reserves and protected areas where you can observe local flora and fauna in their natural habitat. These include the Erimitis Peninsula and Antinioti Lagoon.

· Botanical Gardens: The Botanical Garden of Corfu (also known as the "Garden of the People") offers a wide variety of plant species from around the world in a lush, natural setting. This beautiful setting is located in Corfu’s old town, near Spianada.


Corfu Villages


Corfu's villages are the island's hidden treasures, offering a diverse range of experiences, even during winter-time. From the picturesque mountain village of Pelekas with its panoramic views, to the intimate fishing village of Kassiopi and its Byzantine castle, these villages showcase Corfu's natural beauty and traditional charm.


The main square of the Lakones village in Corfu
The main square of the Lakones village

Also, do not miss the chance of enjoying the cosmopolitan yet traditional atmosphere of Benitses, or immersing yourself in the culture of Lakones, perched above Paleokastritsa. Moreover, Vatos, nestled in the heart of a lush valley, provides a serene setting close to famous beaches.


What to do in corfu in the rain-Indoor activities corfu


If the weather takes a rainy turn during your visit to Corfu, there are still plenty of enjoyable indoor activities to pursue. Consider spending your time at Fatcat playing board games, where you can have some fun with friends or family.


Alternatively, cozy up in a local café with a hot drink, savoring the warmth while watching the rain outside. If you're a gamer, you can log into Battlenet and immerse yourself in online gaming adventures. Another great option is to explore Corfu's museums, delving into its rich history and culture.


And if you don't mind a bit of rain, taking a leisurely walk with an umbrella can be quite charming, allowing you to experience the island's beauty in a unique way. Rainy days in Corfu can still be filled with memorable experiences!



The afternoon sky in corfu during February
The afternoon sky in Corfu during February

Last thoughts


Winter in Corfu offers a unique and tranquil perspective of this beautiful island. While it may not be the traditional beach destination associated with summer, the winter months provide a quieter, more intimate experience.


The island's lush landscapes remain vibrant, and historic sites and charming villages can be explored without the crowds. It's a time for cozying up in cafes, enjoying local cuisine, and sipping on warm beverages while listening to the soothing sound of rain.


Whether you're an outdoor enthusiast seeking hiking adventures or a culture lover interested in museums and local traditions, Corfu in winter has something to offer. Embrace the island's slower pace, find beauty in its rain-washed scenery, and create memories that go beyond the typical tourist experience.

90 views0 comments

댓글


bottom of page